HeadstARTS are a social enterprise that empowers and enables people with intellectual disabilities through the arts. They offer sessions in art, drama and dance on a weekly basis. In Ireland there are 27,500 people with intellectual disabilities,” The Special Olympics have 11,000 members. So that leaves around 15,000 people with no creative outlet.
- Who: HeadstARTS was founded by 22 year old DCU student Liam Redmond in 2012. Liam had volunteered with the Special Olympics many years but had little interest in Sport. He wanted to start something for people with intellectual disabilities who, are creative but aren’t into sports.
- When: 2012
- Where: Dublin, Ireland
The HeadstARTs members come from St. Michael’s House, a voluntary body providing facilities and services to over 1500 people with learning disabilities in Dublin City and County, and other organisations close to DCU. HeadstARTs has made DCU recognised in the community as a place where the students are able to help and communicate with people with intellectual disabilities. DCU students and staff are invited to volunteer their time at the project every week. Because HeadstARTs happens on campus, it creates a buzz in DCU every Tuesday. HeadstARTS run two showcases every year to illustrate the work done in the classroom every week and our members who attend can see the difference we’re making. They can also see how our classes help our members to develop and an improvement can be seen in their development of the course of the semester. These public events highlight the work done to the wider community.
• May 2013 HeadstARTS is participated in Ireland’s inaugural student accelerator program “UStart” throughout the summer months. With this program they received office space, access to a wide network of mentors and €10,000 to develop the project.
• June 2013 HeadstARTS won the Enactus Ireland National Finals.
• September 2013 HeadstARTS represented Ireland in the World Enactus Finals in Mexico.
• June 2016 HeadstARTS celebrated it’s 6th Semester in operation with a Showcase in DCU’s student Hub.
Founder & CEO firstname.lastname@example.org
Marketing & Business Development email@example.com
Áine Ní Ghráda
P.R. & Communications firstname.lastname@example.org